Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hyde Park

For those who are unaware, I am a huge History nerd. I majored in it in college and plan to continue pursuing my studies until I have obtained my doctorate. In what yet, I have not decided but I can certainly narrow it down to the early 20th century, possibly even study my two favorite people: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.

There are not two more inspiring individuals in my book. The tribulations that both of them experienced together and desperately are astounding.  For example, FDR's polio (in which I wrote my senior thesis) or Eleanor's loss of both parents before the age of ten.

Today, I made my one of many yearly trips to Hyde Park and the emotion and closeness I feel to both of their homes leaves me befuddled.  I can't fully understand why I feel so drawn to them but if I had to try, I would say that I am drawn to the passion they had to help people. 

While people annoy me occasionally, I still feel the incredible need to help people who need it and I believe that everyone deserves equal rights.  Eleanor and I share these same beliefs and as far as I'm concerned the most pivotal precursor to the civil rights movement.

That is just a little example of all of her tremendous work.  I find her so inspiring that I am moved to tears. I am not even ashamed to say that, she was a truly amazing woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment