Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I miss the 90's

I was fortunate to have grown up during the 90s.  When I look back on that decade and I think about kids now they certainly were jipped, that might explain why they act that way.  A few weeks ago I was listening to Spice Girls radio on Pandora (which is amazing by the way) and was feeling very nostalgic.  Here are a few things that I miss about my childhood.

1.) The Spice Girls
I literally spent hours in front of a mirror playing their CD's and lip syncing.  They taught me how to be a Feminist...GIRL POWER...and that we had the right to be doing what we wanted.  I played Spice World over and over again on the VHS and can still quote it to this day ("Sunday drivers! It's only Saturday"-in my best British accent).  That reminds me, I need it on DVD!


2.) Pogs
I had no clue (still don't) how to play with them or what their actual purpose was but did I have a shit ton.  I collected all types: flowers, animals, glitter ones, you name it, I probably had it.  Now that I think about it, they were completely useless so no wonder they aren't around.




3.) 90's Cartoons
Saturday mornings were. the. best.  We had all morning to watch them not just a few hours like today but then again we didn't have the Cartoon Network.  I miss these oldies and if you give me a couple hours I'd watch them right now. I know that some of them may be around still but they are not the originals and that makes me sad. Here are a few of my favorites:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles



Muppet Babies



Rugrats




Care Bears






4.) When Animal Movies Weren't Stupid
The 90s saw the single greatest animal movies ever.  I'm looking at you Homeward Bound, Beethoven  and Free Willy (just to name a few)!!  They all made us cry in a good way because no one died.  No a days you can expect five deaths per movie (ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the idea).




 5.) dELIa*s
You know you miss them too!  Almost my entire wardrobe came from their catalog and I was stylin'.  I'm glad to report that they are still around (at least in Albany, NY) and their clothes are not awful (I just can't fit into them anymore)

6.)Tommy Girl perfume
It made me sneeze like crazy but that didn't stop me.

7.)'N Sync
Only the greatest boy band of all time.  My friends and I were completely obsessed with them.  We went to their concerts and bought everything with their faces on it.  I could go on and on but I'll save you all from my incoherent ramblings but they were awesome and if they don't do a reunion tour, I will personally scream in all their faces.



8.) Tiger Beat Magazine
How else was I going to get those posters of my lovers above?!

9.) Mixtapes
I barely listen to the radio nowadays because it's basically crap but back in the day...it wasn't.  I would sit and listen to the radio to record all my favorite songs on to a blank tape.  Now I buy my music and burn it to a cd, faster? yes; as fun? Definitely not.

10.) Lisa Frank (Everything)
We had Lisa Frank on literally everything. Folders, notebooks, pencils, stickers so we could put it on everything just in case it didn't have it on there already.  LF was magical with the cutest dogs, dolphins, kittens in a weird, trippy landscape.  It was adorable and now that I think of it, really odd.  Viva Lisa Frank, regardless.


No comments:

Post a Comment