Friday, August 16, 2013

A how to: freezing avocados

As I have mentioned before, I absolutely love avocados. Having avocados around are nice because not only are they delicious in lots of dishes, they are super nutritious (as most of us know). Freezing them is a wonderful way of preserving them especially if you have a lot after a sale.

At work a couple of weeks ago, we froze them for the first time. I use avocados a lot there and I find that by the time I need to use them, most of them have gone bad (our shopping day is Wednesday) by the time I need them later in the week.  So, I found an article on how to freeze them.  However, I had some issues.

First, cut the avocados length wise and remove the pit.

Just to be safe, brush lemon juice over them to keep them from turning brown, I used lemon juice from a bottle.

Put them in a large zip lock bag, press out all the air and throw in the freezer.

The issue I had was the defrosting part. The day before I needed them I took them from the freezer and put them in the refrigerator. DO NOT DO THIS! About two whole avocados came out almost black. It was gross.

Luckily, I had replacements! I took another bag out of the freezer and let those defrost at room temperature.  Again to be safe, I brushed them with lemon juice as they defrosted.  It is important to know that the juice does not change the flavor.

Once they thawed, they looked and tasted the same, delicious!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment